I'm Sorry I Missed Your Talk!
At some point during a
conference, I inevitably end up missing a colleague's talk and having
to later stammer out an excuse/apology/rationales, etc. A
of years ago, at an Ecological Society of America conference, someone
handed me a stick-on name tag with the simple phrase "I'm Sorry
Missed Your Talk." Stealing this idea as my own, I have
added a number of possible followup phrases. If
me at GSA, you probably noticed my tag with "I'm Sorry I Missed Your
Talk" and some of the following:
I always end with:
- There was a competing session.
- I understand that the computer crashed.
- Did you really write it on the plane on the way here?
- Is there a .pdf available available on your website? (old
version: Send me a reprint!)
- I was out in the hall talking to someone important!
- It took me 2 hours to get lunch!
- Didn't you give the same talk last year?
- Didn't I publish that idea 10 years ago?
- At least it wasn't at the end of the last day.
- Now you can deduct the cost of attending the
- No one remembers these talks anyway!
- How the hell did you get NSF to fund that?
- I'm just sick and tired of bullet lists.
- I was in the back, asleep.
- My watch was still on Central Time,
- I only go to talks by my Facebook "friends"
- There was this really funny video on YouTube....
But I heard it was very good!
Also, for some insightful and funny thoughts about conference to share
with your students, see: Delegate
Earth and Environmental Sciences
University of Illinois at Chicago